Cord Blood Basics
Congratulations, you’ve enrolled. What happens next?
A Cord Blood Expert will call you in 1-2 business days to verify your information, make arrangements for delivery of your collection kit and answer any additional questions that you may have about the cord blood banking process.
The Delivery Day Instructions
We know that when the day comes you’ll be focused on delivering a happy healthy baby, that’s why we have prepared brief and concise Delivery Day Instructions to make the collection process smooth and worry-free for you and your partner.
Upon receipt of your collection
- Verify mother’s name and date of birth on the label affixed on the collection kit and documentation
- Store your collection kit at room temperature with your hospital bag
- Do not refrigerate or store in your car
- Bring the collection kit to the birthing facility at time of delivery
At the birthing facility
- Immediately inform your labour and delivery team your intent to collect cord blood and/ or tissue
- Ask your healthcare professional where to freeze ice pack, if your kit contains one. Freeze for approximately 4 hours
- Routine maternal blood work will be collected using the tubes in your collection kit
- Please remind the labour and delivery team that cord blood volume is critical and to collect as much blood as possible
After cord blood collection
- Pack your collection kit up for pickup as shown on the back page of the Parent’s Instruction Booklet
- Ensure you have placed ALL contents (cord blood, cord tissue and maternal blood tubes) into the collection kit also ensure all collection labels and information are complete
- Call Insception Lifebank at 1 (866) 606-2790 option 1 within 2 hours of baby being born
- Prior to pick up, keep collection kit at room temperature at your bedside
- You will receive a text message (SMS) to the cell number provided at enrollment with a link to the Infant/Mother Health Status Form Please complete 4 medical questions before the courier arrives for the collection kit pick-up
- An Insception Lifebank courier will pick up your collection kit within 24 hours of your call
An SMS and email will be sent within 24 hours of receipt of your baby’s cord blood and/or tissue sample arriving safely at our facility.
In approximately three weeks you will receive a confirmation letter confirming the status of your processed and stored cord blood unit.
However, please be aware you may receive a few additional communications from us regarding potential post collection decisions about your cord blood unit that may need to be made in a timely manner. We appreciate your cooperation to help ensure the successful storage of your baby’s sample.
We wish you a happy delivery and you can count on us to be focused on the safe pickup, processing and storage of your baby’s cord blood and tissue.
Call us at 1-866-606-2790 if you have any questions.